Global Game Jam – 2014

 

Basic Info:

During the Global Game Jam I joined four crewmembers of Speelbaars to create a jam group called Jambaars. P.S. Yes the cool logo above is also made by me.

Our team wanted to create an original game. We shot down multiple ideas for being to generic or easy to think of. The design process even took the first half of the day we started. After a lot of discussions and shouting the idea of Obscura came to mind. A game in where the player is able to walk around on a streetcorner and investigate everything.

The Concept:
The concept of the game was that the player would be walking around taking photographs of things they thought was related to the murder scene on the streetcorner where they were dropped in the game. The player than was able to write a little article about what they though happend on the murder scene. The fun part was that we had made a lot of clues that didn’t worked together. This created a discussion between the players about what really happend. While all along there wasn’t a real plotline. The plot was what the players thought that happend on the scene. We just wanted to start a discussion between the players.

 

There was an article written about the game after the Global Game Jam.

Click here to view the article

 

Our team:

Brenda v Vugt – 2d Artist

Jeen Visser – 3d Artist

Luc Veiga da Palma – Programmer

Niels Koopmans – Programmer

Steven Honders – Designer

 

 

 

 

Fast Realism Models

Basic Info:

Before working with Speelbaars in the Global Game Jam I wanted to practice my fast modelling and choose to model 2 basic household objects each within a hour limit.
I choose for a stylized realistic look because I was less familiar with that style in at that time.

 

Power socket:

A power socket made within the hour limit. It was rather easy to model this within time. I used two flat rectangles and used bevel on the forward corners. After this step I used boolean and cut out the cylindrical shape in the middle. When using a boolean in 3d, you should always clean up the topology, so that was the next step. The last step was to make the small details that all originated from primitive shapes with a bit of polish.

 

Cup of coffee:

The second model was a cup of coffee. This one took me 10 minutes over my limit (1 hour and 10 minutes). The coffee itself costed more time than I realised. The plate was easy. A cylindrical with some more polish around the corners and moving the edge of the plate upwards for a tilted angle towards the middle. After making the plate I started making the cup originating of a cylinder. Creating the ear of the cup and adding it to the cup mesh (and cleaning up the topology afterwards). Adding the spoon in the next step. Made by placing a cube and extrude till I had the rough shape of the spoon. Finishing it with making it bend a bit towards the head an adding details and a material. Lastly I added the coffee layer in the cup. It’s a simple circular plan, nothing fancy. But the material took more time to get that coffee “feel”.