Low Poly

Basic Info:

Here’s a small collection of low poly models I made for different projects. I found that a post per picture would be a bit too mutch, so I bundled them into one post.

 

Low Poly Axe:

This axe was a model that was created for the first prototype of Survive & Thrive  (project for Four Nomads). It’s an axe created in a low poly style with a photoshop shapes texture. This model was replaced later in the game because we wanted to keep the anatomy of the character realistic thus the shape sizes of the axe were off.

 

Low Poly Portrait:

This portrait was a model that was created for the first prototype of Survive & Thrive  (project for Four Nomads). It was an expiriment on making a low poly bust with enough possibilities to customise it for multiple characters. The bust is very low poly containing less than 150 polygons. The topology follows the facial shapes (cheeckbones and jaw) closely to create a facial silhouette without the use of many polygons. Combined with a semi flat shader in Unity it could do its magic.

 

Carrot Warrior:

A simplistic carrot warrior I created when I had some hours of free time with nothing to spend it on. It was a 3d low poly sketch for a game idea I had about assembling a small tribe of vegetables and taking care of them. I used the leaves coming out of the top of the carrot as skirt for the carrot warrior. The boots were made curly to fit more with the carrot shape of the character.

 

 

 

The Prince 3d version:

This is the 3d version of the vector character “The Prince”. As I wrote in the flat design post, I really liked the flat style character. So I tried to convert it in a 3d low poly style. I used a flat design color palette and made facial planes for the eyes and mouth. This was a hommage to the technique used by Animal Crossing. This made me able to change the image texture in the facial plane material. Changing the emotions or expresions of the character.

 

The T-Rex:

This is a low poly dinosaur I made for the Global Game Jam 2015. Our team decided to make a game where you play a dinosaur and you had to do little tasks. With each player (of the four players) controlling another part of the dinosaurs body. The players needed to work together to reach the goal of the tasks. These could be weird things like biting a rubber chicken or playing piano. The model didn’t got a texture to save time on the asset making proces. It was a jam after all. If we uv-unwrapped the dinosaur, all the other objects would have needed to be too.

 

Secret Santa Jam:

Our class had the tradition to do a “Secret Santa” jam. This ment that in the holiday vacation you would get assigned to a random classmate in secret. You than create a picture, asset or game about that person in your style. I was assigned to one of the Grotman members and chose to not only make him as a character, but also the two most used characters within the game (Tribal & Error) they are developing. This were the robot you played within the game and the caveman which you needed to gife orders.
I started by making the base shape and important details of the characters. With overdoing some of the important parts for more contrast (like the cavemans nose and the buttons on the robot). I kept the person I was making as a placeholder for I wanted to spent the most time on getting him right.

 

After this crude setup I decided to start on the person I was assigned to. The person I got has rather “generic” facial features which made him hard to convert in a simplistic style. This isn’t a bad thing at all but it makes it rather hard to create a character looking like the person because you can’t exaggerate aspects of his face. I chose to make him in a style that looked a bit like the Mii’s of Nintendo. This choice was backed with the idea that if it would be hard to convert the person in a simplistic style, I could also use a style where the character itself looks a bit generic matching the “generic” facial features of the person.

 

The person I was assigned to was the lead programmer of Grotman so I decided to make “bugs” that were attacking him and the two other characters. I placed the cave man in a smashing position, the robot is floating while covering its face in shock and the person himself defends himself with his keyboard, his tool of choice. The “bugs” felt a bit static, this is the reason why I added code referencing particle systems. This ofcourse accentuate them being bugs and all.

 

You can download the project here.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>